Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Scissors

I was reading something on 2peas about scissors and it reminded me I wanted to write a rubber, nay, scissors ramble!

For almost all of my life, I had two pairs of scissors. My black handled scissors were purchased by someone in my family and I appropriated them when I was young. They were the best scissors and pretty much the only pair I used for all that detailed collage work I used to do before stamping. My other pair my mom had given me when I was a kid. They were My Melody scissors and woooh boy, they were sharp. I used them in my sewing class when I was in junior high. But they didn't have a pointy tip and not so good for collage work. This pair was eventually moved to my gift wrap drawer.

Then bam, I started stamping which led to buying unmounted stamps. My trusty pair of black handled scissors just weren't (ahem) cutting it. I did some research and bought a pair of Kai scissors at a convention. I love my Kais! I did buy a $1 pair at the Dollar Store reputed to be similiar. So not the same! They're now just uselessly sitting in a cup.

But that broke the dam. I needed fibers/fabric/ribbon scissors because I read paper dulled scissors fairly quickly and I wanted sharp scissors for ribbon. I bought a short Fiskars embroidery pair. I love 'em. But then taking them to classes were risky. I'd find people using them to cut paper. So, I bought a two pack of Titanium scissors. I got a pair of squishy handled scissors from Marvy for more detail work.

But I still needed embroidery scissors for classes. I just got a pair that look like the classic crane scissors from Durasharp. At $4, they work very well. Then I thought the Titanium scissors were too long. And I didn't always like the squishy handles of the Marvy scissors.

And then I got interested in fabric again and decided to get the serrated edged Tonic scissors. They are great! But I don't cut up as much fabric as I thought.

What's my latest purchase? Cutterbees (Fiskars). Gah, now really, I don't need any more scissors! Although, I think about Tonic and Judikins fine detail scissors ALL the time.

Oh wait, decorative scissors don't count, right? Because I must have 30 or so of those. With more coming.

When does this start sounding a wee bit crazy? Especially since I ask students to bring scissors to class.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved the lightouse card. I climbed the 200 and some stairs of a lighthouse in Florida this week, so now I totally feel like I should buy myself this stamp just for surviving! haha